Objective: Raise money to support ELCA World Hunger programs
Action: Members of the Northern Illinois Synod member churches will ride their bicycles to Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois. In advance of the ride, participants will solicit pledges in support of ELCA World Hunger.
Dates and Logistics: Congregations en-route will provide lodging and meals.
Dates of the ride: June 11-14, 2019
We anticipate 20 people will participate. There is a limit of 25 riders.
Before riding, we will require each cyclist to complete a checklist that includes:
- completing 120 hours of riding time (on their own)
- reading through the Illinois Bicycle Rules of the Road (published by the Secretary of State of Illinois)
- setting a goal for fundraising and raising funds
- participating in a safety instruction course taught the morning of departure
- turning into the ride coordinator a completed “Release of Responsibility” form (see form)
- turning into the ride coordinator a completed “Medical Information” form. (see form). For those under 18, if parents are not also participating in the ride, their parents must also complete and sign a letter allowing a designated participating adult to approve medical care for the child in the case of an emergency.
- attending a synod-led “Safeguarding God’s Children” workshop. Each participant is responsible for registering for the workshop on the synod website.
Safety requirements include:
- Every cyclist will be required to wear a helmet.
- There will be signs posted along the route giving directions.
- There will be a lead cyclist providing direction and an end cyclist to assist and count riders.
- There will be a lead vehicle and a trailing vehicle with water, snacks, bike repair assistance and a first aid kit.
Send checks made out to “Northern Illinois Synod” with #CycleToSynod in the memo line to Northern Illinois Synod c/o June Cain, 103 W. State Street, Rockford, IL 61101 or use the secure online donation form below.